Winemakers have long used yeast starter cultures during fermentation to manipulate the final profile and quality of the resulting wine. This practice has become the norm around the world. Taking this a step further, Anchor Yeast has created a product that significantly enhances a wine’s sensory profile and quality through the use of carefully selected bacteria strains during malolactic fermentation.
Based on winemakers’ success with the original Anchor Co-Inoculant Bacteria, Anchor Yeast in collaboration with the Institute for Wine Biotechnology at the Stellenbosch University in South Africa, have developed a new bacteria blend: the Anchor Co-Inoculant Bacteria 3.2. This starter culture has been scientifically formulated to improve the taste and aroma profile of red and white wines; specifically for wines with a pH of 3.2 and higher.
The new Anchor Co-Inoculant Bacteria 3.2 is a mixed lactic acid bacteria starter culture for malolactic fermentation that offers the following advantages:
- used for CO-INOCULATION, which creates more aromatic wines when compared with sequential inoculation and also increases ease of use
- the inclusion of OENOCOCCUS OENI, which has proven importance in completing malolactic fermentation
- and the inclusion of LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM, which results in an enhanced sensory profile.
The specific blend of O. oeni and L. plantarum strains in the Anchor Co-Inoculant Bacteria 3.2 were selected for their interaction and performance and result in the following sensory changes:
- more intense aromas
- an aroma profile with increased fruit
- fewer reductive or green flavours, especially in lower pH wines
- decreased astringency and tannin intensity.
Trials have shown that this bacteria starter culture increases the overall quality of wine compared to other starter cultures (see Fig. 1 ‘Aromatic profile’ and Fig. 2 ‘Taste profile’). In addition to providing winemakers with a powerful tool to augment red and white wine quality, this new culture is also easy to use and effective in completing the malolactic fermentation.
This is another ADVANCED WINEMAKING SOLUTION brought to you by OENOBRANDS